A lawyer for Joshua Boyle is suggesting his wife made up a story that he struck her in the face on numerous occasions.

She claims the assaults happened at their Ottawa apartment in the months after the couple were freed from captivity in Afghanistan.

Lawyer Lawrence Greenspon is dissecting Caitlan Coleman’s allegations that Boyle repeatedly assaulted her before she fled their home in late 2017.

Boyle,  has pleaded not guilty to offences against Coleman including assault, sexual assault and unlawful confinement.

During cross-examination, Greenspon quizzed Coleman about a December 2017 incident in which she says Boyle hit her in the face following an argument in the dining room.

After pressing her for details Greenspon suggested the incident did not occur _ a conclusion Coleman quickly and flatly rejected, saying it’s hard to recall which hits are which.

=============

Ottawa Public Health is urging people to take precautions following a confirmed case of measles in the city.

The health agency says it is working with area health-care providers and hospitals to contact individuals and families who may have been exposed to the highly infectious case.

It is warning that people may have been exposed to the measles virus on March 26 and 27 at a building at 40 Hines Rd.

Other locations include the Real Canadian Superstore and the Ottawa West Travel Clinic on Eagleson Road on March 28 and the Queensway Carleton Hospital Emergency Department on March 30 and April 2.

Health officials say people who were at these locations should check their immunization records or contact their health care provider.

Early symptoms of measles may include fever, cough or tiny white spots in the mouth.

Within three to seven days, a red blotchy rash will appear, first on the face and then spreading to the body, arms and legs.

=============

A Kingston youth charged with terrorism-related offences is now on bail — but with strict conditions.

The youth, who cannot be identified under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, will be required to be in the presence of one of two approved family members at all times.

He is also forbidden to use the internet unless it’s approved for education reasons and he must remain in Ontario, surrender his passport and wear an R-C-M-P electronic-monitoring device.

Police allege the youth had plotted a terrorist attack but had not chosen a specific target.

============

Students across the province are planning walkouts today to protest the government’s education changes, including class sizes.

This comes as some Ontario school boards have written to the education minister with concerns that planned increases to class sizes will mean they can offer fewer elective courses, such as in the arts and skilled trades.

Lisa Thompson announced last month that average high school class sizes will increase by six students _ from 22 to 28 _ a change to be phased in over four years.

School boards say increased class sizes will mean fewer teachers will be needed in schools and that will put some programs that schools currently offer in jeopardy.

Thompson says larger class sizes won’t make a difference to students, rather the quality of the teacher is what matters.

============

The Ontario government is considering implementing mandatory annual math testing for all teachers in the province.

Senior government sources have told The Canadian Press that teachers would be required to pass the test in order to continue to teach.

The test would apply to teachers at both the primary and secondary level even if the educator did not primarily teach mathematics.

The move comes a day after the Conservative government passed legislation that will require all aspiring teachers in Ontario to pass a math test before receiving their licence to teach.

============

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was on the defensive in the Commons a day after citing a broken trust over his government’s handling of the S-N-C-Lavalin affair in expelling Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott from the Liberal caucus

During question period, Conservative Opposition Leader Andrew Scheer accused Trudeau of stomping on women who stand up to him.

But Trudeau countered that he will take no lessons from Conservatives on feminism.

He said his government still has many strong women in caucus, and 18 women in cabinet who lead on big issues every day.

Outside the Commons, Philpott and Wilson-Raybould said they had no regrets over standing up for what they believe was right.

===========

Justin Trudeau got a first-hand glimpse of the fallout from the S-N-C-Lavalin affair when he addressed 338 visiting young women who were staging a mock Parliament in the Commons yesterday.

About four-dozen of them turned their backs on the prime minister while he tried to explain why he had booted Wilson-Raybould and Philpott from caucus.

Trudeau said politics is often about reconciling opposite perspectives and differences of opinion.

Some later called him a “fake feminist.”

============

Parliament’s spending watchdog is still asking for the Canada Revenue Agency to show him the money.

Parliamentary Budget Officer Yves Giroux says he still does not have access to all the data his office needs to determine the amount of cash the federal government loses each year to offshore tax havens and tax avoidance schemes.

He says the C-R-A would only give his office aggregate tax data for a study his office has for years wanted to complete on Canada’s tax gap so Ottawa can determine how to best address tax avoidance and evasion.

============

Lawyers representing Quebec smokers and provincial governments are pushing back against an Ontario court ruling that suspended legal proceedings against three major tobacco companies.

J-T-I-Macdonald, Imperial Tobacco Canada, and Rothmans, Benson & Hedges were granted protection from creditors last month after they lost an appeal in Quebec.

Quebec’s highest court upheld a landmark judgment ordering the companies to pay billions of dollars in damages to Quebec smokers.

Lawyers for the Quebec Council on Tobacco and Health say they will ask the Ontario court today to revoke creditor protection for the companies if they intend to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.

=============

Foreign and interior ministers from the Group of Seven countries are gathering in France this week to try to find ambitious solutions to world security challenges, but two top American officials are skipping the meetings.

U-S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will stay home to host a NATO meeting and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen will deal with border issues in the southern U-S.

Their absences at the Thursday-Saturday meetings in Paris and the Atlantic resort of Dinard raise questions about the G-7’s effectiveness.

Canada’s Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland has announced she will attend both the NATO meeting in Washington today and the G-7 meetings in France.

=============

A new battle is brewing in the U-S Congress between President Donald Trump and House Democrats — this time over Trump’s tax returns.

A House committee chairman has asked the I-R-S to provide six years of Trump’s tax returns and returns for some of his businesses.

Democrats defend the request as part of Congress’ oversight duties, but Republicans say there are privacy concerns and accuse Democrats of “weaponizing” the tax code by targeting political foes.

=============

The preliminary report into last month’s Ethiopian Airlines jet crash says the flight crew performed all procedures from Boeing, but could not control the jet.

Ethiopia’s transport minister made the announcement this morning, citing data from the doomed plane’s cockpit and voice-data recorders.

The Boeing 737 Max 8 jet crashed March 10th shortly after takeoff from Addis Ababa, killing all 157 on board, including 18 Canadians.

It was the second deadly crash of a 737 Max plane within five months, following a Lion Air crash in Indonesia.

Max jets are grounded worldwide pending a software fix that Boeing is rolling out.

============

Police say the man accused of the New Zealand mosque attacks last month will face 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges at his court appearance in Christchurch on Friday.

Australian national Brenton Tarrant had been charged with only one count of murder after his arrest the day of the March 15th massacre.

Fifty people were killed in the attack on the two mosques and dozens of others were shot and wounded.

Filed under: News