A man found guilty twice in the sexsmonia case is out of bail.

Ryan Hartman successfully won bail as a superior court judge ruled the unreasonable delay argument to get to trial has merit.

Hartman was convicted of sexually assaulting Bekah D’aoust at a house party in 2011 in Brockville. Hartman will be back in court on April 14th, according to the Citizen, so the judge can check on his appeal progress.

The victim in this case Bekah D’aoust posted on Facebook “i am furious with our justice system and on the verge of throwing in the towel.”

==========

The Ford government is planning to cut just over 10-thousand teaching jobs over the next four years, beginning this fall.

That’s according to the Toronto Star – who obtained education ministry memos that say the move would save 851-million-dollars.

The memo says just over 1,500 full-time jobs will be gone as of this fall and the remaining positions would be fully phased out by 2022.

There are currently about 1 hundred and 15 thousand full-time teachers in permanent positions in Ontario.

The government says it will continue to consult until the end of May.

=========

High school students across the province marched out of class yesterday afternoon to fight a series of changes to the education system.

Organizers of the “ Studentssayno Walkout” expected 200-thousand students at more than 700 schools would walk out of class to make their voices heard.

High school student Frank Hong — who helped organize the protest — says the provincial government’s moves have sparked a “wildfire” of political activism among the province’s youth.

Hong says they’re ready to rise up against plans to increase class sizes and make students take more online courses but education minister Lisa Thompson says the protests are “union stunts” fostered by the opposition.

===========

After a stabbing death in a St-Laurent bar, a man has been sentenced to a decade in jail.

According to the Citizen, Joe-Bryan Ndikuriyo was found guilty of manslaughter in the death of 21 year old Soloman Odekunle.

The incident happened on November 6, 2016, after the victim danced with Ndikuriyo’s girlfriend.

The altercation between the two continued outside of the bar, where Ndikuriyo stabbed Odekunle in the neck with a broken bottle.

After credit for time served, he still has 6 and a half years to serve.

===========

Witnesses at the assault trial of former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle describe him as angry, self-absorbed and with obvious control over his wife in the days following the couple’s release from captivity.

Boyle and Caitlan Coleman were kidnapped by extremists in 2012 while backpacking through central Asia and held captive until their rescue by Pakistani forces five years later.

A global affairs Canada official who accompanied Boyle, Coleman and their children on the plane back to Canada in 2017 told the court that Coleman did not make a lot of eye contact, and looked to Boyle for cues.

Janice Unger testified at one point during the flight, Boyle abruptly told her and a colleague to return to their seats.

Coleman’s sister described a visit she made to the family shortly after their return, saying that Boyle demeaned his wife and expected her to care for their three children even while she was sick.

Joann Rotenberry says Boyle always seemed angry and frustrated.

Boyle has pleaded not guilty to assault, sexual assault and unlawful confinement.

============

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will join Toronto Mayor John Tory for an affordable housing announcement this afternoon.

The pair will visit Toronto Community Housing’s Adanac Apartments in the city’s east end for the announcement at 2:30 p-m.

In the federal budget last month, the government introduced measures that would allow Ottawa to pick up a portion of new homebuyers’ mortgage costs and it increased the amount they can borrow from their retirement savings for a down payment.

==========

A faceoff between tobacco companies and Quebec smokers will resume in an Ontario courtroom today.

Lawyers representing Quebec smokers and provincial governments are pushing back against an Ontario court ruling that suspended legal proceedings against three major companies.

JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. were granted protection from their creditors last month after they lost a bid to avoid paying billions of dollars in damages to Quebec smokers.

===========

With the clock ticking down to tomorrow’s one-year anniversary of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash, emotions remain high.

Locals in the small Saskatchewan community say while the pain is still there, but the tragedy has brought people together.

Perhaps no where is that sense of togetherness more noticeable than at the junior hockey teams games, which continue to sell out.

The crash happened last April 6th, when a semi-truck failed to stop at a rural intersection and the two vehicles collided — killing 16 and injuring 13 others.

============

Justin Trudeau continues to say he sees things differently, when it comes to the S-N-C-Lavalin affair.

The prime minister says he respects that former attorney-general Jody Wilson-Raybould felt he and his staff were interfering, but he disagrees.

Trudeau has said repeatedly that any conversations with Wilson-Raybould about the SNC-Lavalin file involving his aides came about because the government was concerned that prosecuting the company would endanger many of the nine-thousand S-N-C jobs in Canada.

That fear appeared to be back-up with the revelation contained in a presentation the company prepared for government officials in September.

============

According to a newly released document, Saudi Arabia slapped back hard after critical comments by Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland.

Freeland’s criticism was sparked by the Kingdom’s arrest of women’s rights activists.

The long list of Saudi repercussions have been highlighted in a briefing note to International Trade Minister Jim Carr ahead of a meeting with members of the Canada Arab Business Council last September.

Included in the push-back was putting the brakes on future trade and investment deals, cancelling grain imports and shutting down lucrative scholarships for its citizens to study in Canada.

===========

U-S President Donald Trump is turning to the threat of tariffs on cars to strong-arm Mexico to do more to stop the flow of migrants trying to enter the U-S.

Earlier in the week, Trump had threatened to close down the southern border unless Mexico immediately halted — quote — “All illegal immigration coming into the United States.”

He later backtracked, telling reporters he would try a less drastic measure before resorting to his standing border-closure threat.

U-S President Donald Trump boards Air Force One later today to head to the southern border.

===========

Members of Robert Mueller’s (MULL’-uhrz) team are reportedly sharing frustrations with how U-S Attorney General William Barr is handling their report on the Russia investigation.

A report in The Washington Post says that an associate of the Mueller team says the report is “much more acute than Barr suggested.”

Basically, sources are telling the Post that evidence on obstruction of justice was “alarming and significant” and not the complete exoneration U-S President Donald Trump has been crowing about.

============

Japan’s space agency says one of its robotic spacecraft has begun its riskiest mission.

The Hayabusa-2 spacecraft has released an explosive onto an asteroid, quickly shuttled off to a safe distance and blown a crater into the surface of an asteroid.

The mission was designed to collect underground samples to find possible clues to the origin of the solar system.

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency is continuing its analysis.

Filed under: News