UPDATE: THE BOY HAS BEEN FOUND SAFE IN TORONTO

An amber alert has been issued for a 3- year old boy who was abducted in the Sudbury area.

William Gooden is described black, 3 feet tall with a  heavy build and short black hair.

He was last seen wearing blue t-shirt, black pants, red and white jacket and a Montreal Canadians ball cap.

The suspect in the abduction is 25- year old Breana Gooden.

She is described black, 5 feet 6 inches and 150 lbs. She wears her hair in a ponytail, she has tattoos of a lion on left forearm and peace sign on right forearm.

She was wearing a black sweater, black tights, black and gold mini-skirt, white and pink running shoes.

The two were last seen on a bus travelling to Toronto.

You are asked to call 911 if you spot them.

===============

At least five suspected opioid overdoses in the span of a week has prompted police in Arnprior to issue a public warning.

The Ontario Provincial Police say access to extremely dangerous opioids is not limited to larger cities, and the drugs have “infiltrated every corner of our province in some form or another.”

The problem plaguing Arnprior — a town of nine-thousand people — is shared by small communities across Canada.

That’s according to 2017 data presented late last year by the Canadian institute for health information, indicating they in fact have hospitalization rates for opioid poisonings more than double those in Canada’s largest cities.

In its public release, o-p-p also warned of something known as “purp” or purple heroin, typically a combination of heroin and its more-potent cousins fentanyl or carfentanil.

===============

Ottawa police have charged a 63-year-old Ottawa man with 17 offences, including sexual assault and invitation to sexual touching.

Officers started looking into alleged sexual assault incidents which happened over a five-year span, beginning in 1997.

Police say the victims were two young girls, between the age of 7 and 14.

63 year old Darrell Bellrose is facing a number of charges including 5 counts of sexual assault, and 6 counts of sexual interference

Bellrose is currently in custody awaiting show cause court.

Police are concerned there could be other victims in this case.

==============

Water levels in the Ottawa River are expected to stabilize in several areas, today.

Around Pembroke and the Lake Coulange areas levels peaked yesterday and are expected to remain stable today.

From Lac Deschenes to Hawkesbury levels are also expected to stabilize today.

There are two areas which have not reached their peak.

Both Mattawa today and Maniwaki tomorrow are expected to fall just short of the previous flood record levels.

=============

The military will remain in two areas of Quebec for the time being on flood watch.

Soldiers first deployed April 19th are patrolling flooded areas of the Outaouis as well as the Laurentians.

The forces will begin restoration work on things like flooded roads in those regions starting next Tuesday.

Almost 7,500 Quebecers have been forced from their homes due to the spring floods.

==============

Premier Doug Ford says an internal task force is being created to deal with flooding.

The group will hear from people directly affected by spring flooding in the province.

The sessions will start in cottage country on Friday, then move to Pembroke next Thursday and Ottawa next Friday.

The task force will also talk to municipal indigenous and industry leaders.

The province says it is committed to taking action to protect the public by better planning and mitigating the effects of flooding.

==============

Canadian “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek says he has completed what he hopes will be his last chemotherapy treatment.

He was at the Royal Canadian Geographical Society yesterday afternoon as he helped open the group’s new headquarters in Ottawa.

Trebek, who is the society’s honorary president, announced in March that he has advanced pancreatic cancer.

Trebek — who said recently he has continued taping “Jeopardy!” despite dealing with excruciating stomach cramps — seemed energetic and strong as he cracked jokes from the podium.

Trebek says he was disappointed all the Canadian NHL teams had been eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs — before noting the country’s pro-sports championship hopes are still very much alive thanks to the Toronto Raptors.

Later in the evening, Trebek fought back tears as he thanked the society for the outpouring of support he’s received since announcing his cancer diagnosis.

===============

The enhanced driver’s licence that lets Ontarians cross the border without a passport could be on its way out.

The provincial government is proposing to eliminate the licence, which was introduced in 2009 when the U-S required passports or other secure I-D for anyone entering the country by land or sea.

The province says there hasn’t been the anticipated uptake for the licence — about 60-thousand out of Ontario’s more than 10-million drivers have it.

It says the program brings in about 182-thousand dollars of revenue each year and eliminating it will save the province about 100-thousand dollars in administration costs.

==============

Canada’s largest school board says deep service cuts are the only way to deal with the deep funding cuts the Ontario government is ordering to the education budget.

The Toronto District School Board says of its 67-million-dollar shortfall — 42-million is a direct result of the Ford Conservatives’ funding reductions.

Education Director John Malloy says the board may have to condolidate up to 10 schools, reduce the number of travelling music teachers, and stop bussing French immersion and extended French students to some schools.

==============

A man who routinely posts anti-Muslim content on his various online platforms has been ordered to pay millions of dollars in damages to the founder of Paramount Fine Foods.

An Ontario Superior Court Justice ruled in favour of Mohamad Fakih’s defamation suit against Kevin J. Johnston.

In a series of videos shared to his websites, Johnston described Fakih as funding terrorism and made a number of statements about Paramount, including claims that no one was allowed inside unless they were a “jihadist” or had “raped someone else’s wife.”

Justice Jane Ferguson found the statements were false and defamatory, said they amounted to hate speech, and ordered Johnston to pay Fakih 2.5 million dollars.

==============

An elite team of federal U-S accident investigators will arrive in southeast Alaska later today to piece together what caused the deadly midair crash of two sightseeing planes carrying cruise-ship tourists near Ketchikan.

Two floatplanes carrying a total of 14 tourists and two pilots collided yesterday while flying passengers from the Royal Princess ship on excursions.

A fourth body was recovered last night, two people are still missing, and 10 others are in hospital in fair or good condition.

There is no word yet on victims’ names or hometowns.

The ship left Vancouver on May 11th for a seven-day cruise, and is due to arrive in Anchorage on Saturday.

==============

Shares in WestJet Airlines soared in Monday trading — closing nearly 60 per cent higher at 29 dollars and 61 cents — on news the company is being bought by Toronto-based private equity firm Onex Corporation in a friendly deal worth five-billion dollars

Subject to shareholders’ approval, the deal would see the Calgary-based airline operate as a privately held company after two decades on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

WestJet chairman Clive Beddoe is pleased WestJet will stay headquartered in Calgary, and C-E-O Ed Sims expects no direct job losses among its 14-thousand employees.

Onex says it will continue with the current employee profit-sharing program.

===============

Diplomats have visited a Canadian think-tank expert whose months-long detention in China is seen as an attempt to pressure Canada to release Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.

Canadian consular officials visited with Michael Kovrig on Monday, for a seventh time.

Chinese media have accused Kovrig of acting with Canadian businessman Michael Spavor to steal state secrets.

Both were arrested December 10th, days after Meng was arrested in Vancouver at the request of the U-S which wants her extradited to face fraud charges.

===============

Canada’s Marie-Claude Bibeau had a brief meeting with her Chinese counterpart Monday at the G-20 Agriculture Ministers’ meeting in Tokyo, where they had an “introductory” meeting about trade concerns.

Bibeau’s ministry says she relayed Canada’s concern with China’s suspension of our canola exports over claims it is contaminated.

Bibeau urged that the matter be quickly resolved and said the Canadian government stands firmly behind “its robust inspection system.”

China’s rejection of our canola exports is part of escalating tensions following the Vancouver arrest of a Chinese tech executive.

==============

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says the provincial carbon tax will be cancelled by May 30th.

The new Conservative premier has outlined his plan to get rid of the tax that was brought in by the previous N-D-P government two-and-a-half-years ago.

Opposition N-D-P Leader Rachel Notley says Kenney’s move sets the stage for the federal government to impose its own carbon tax on Alberta.

Kenney says his government will review court decisions related to Saskatchewan and Ontario’s battle against the federal tax before deciding whether to follow through on his campaign promise to launch Alberta’s own court case against Ottawa.

================

A U-S lawyer has been appointed to look into how the investigation into Russia’s election meddling began and determine if the collection of intelligence on the Trump campaign was lawful and appropriate.

Sources says Attorney General William Barr has appointed the U-S attorney in Connecticut to conduct the inquiry.

President Trump and his supporters have accused the F-B-I of unlawfully spying on his campaign.

==============

Shares declined in Asia today after a dismal day on Wall Street as investors fled uncertainty over the China-U-S trade standoff.

China’s Shanghai Composite index lost 0.7 per cent after China announced it was raising tariffs on 60-billion dollars of imports from the United States in retaliation for the Trump administration’s latest hike in tariffs on some Chinese exports.

And the U-S Trade Rep has announced this morning it is targeting a 300-billion-dollar list of additional Chinese imports, including laptop computers and farm goods, for tariff hikes possibly next month.

Filed under: News