Elementary teachers hit the picket lines today in several boards including Ottawa and the Upper Canada district as part of their rotating strikes.

The elementary teachers’ federation of Ontario escalated its job action Monday and is now targeting each board twice a week, including a provincewide strike set for Thursday.

ETFO president Sam Hammond says the union was close to a deal with the government after three days of talks last week.

But he says the province’s negotiators suddenly tabled new proposals at the 11th hour that ETFO couldn’t accept.

Hammond says the two sides were close to an agreement on three or four key issues when the government changed course.

Lecce said Tuesday afternoon that the government has put forward “reasonable proposals” at the bargaining table, including a commitment to maintain full-day kindergarten.

=======================

Ottawa police continue asking for information in the death of 45 year old Jason Saunders.

One person, who hasn’t been identified, was taken into custody, but at last word had not been charged.

Police releasing a short statement to confirm the person in custody around 9 last night.

Saunders was found Monday in an eighth floor apartment in Cyrville Towers, an apartment building on Cummings Avenue.

Anyone who knows anything about that homicide Monday afternoon is asked to call police or contact Crimestoppers dot ca.

=============================

The Rideau Transit Group has confirmed 13 trains are scheduled to operate this morning.

There will be extra bus service from three stations Blair, Hurdman and Tunneys Pasture.

However, additional buses pulled from other city routes, are returning to their regular trips.

The tweet on behalf of transit boss John Manconi, says as the rail service continues to stabilize, they will monitor and assess the need for that additional option to get to the downtown.

=====================

Canada’s fifth presumed case of the new coronavirus is a woman in her 50s from the Vancouver area, who is in stable condition in isolation at home.

Doctor Bonnie Henry — BC’s provincial health officer — says family from Wuhan — the Chinese city at the epicentre of the outbreak — had been visiting the woman, and they have been minimizing contact with people outside the home.

BC health minister Adrian Dix said health officials are taking all the necessary steps both to assist the woman and also to ensure that people she may have come in contact with are safe as well.

===========================

A Christmas movie being shot in the area features Mel Gibson as Santa Claus.

It is taking over a number of locations in the area for the next few months.

Some road closures have been approved in Mississippi Mills for the filming.

That is expected to start a week from today.  There will also be filming in Pakenham.

The filming of “Fatman” will likely last a month.

The crew tells Inside Ottawa Valley, any traffic disruptions will only be for a few minutes at a stretch.

====================

Prosecutors have dropped charges against an Ontario couple accused in a citizen’s arrest.

But one of the accused, Sylvain Lahaie, says the drawn-out court case has left him and his wife financially ruined and represents a bitter victory.

Court documents show the two were charged in August 2008 after they tied up two young men caught stealing from their property for a third night in a row.

The couple was found guilty of unlawful confinement, but the conviction was overturned on appeal last year.

A new trial was ordered, but a spokesman for the Ministry of the Attorney General says the charges were instead thrown out last week.

=====================

Hundreds of Canadians are hoping to be on their way home within hours, as a chartered plane heads to Wuhan, China — the epicentre of the outbreak of the new coronavirus.

But not everyone waiting at the airport will be able to get on the plane.

Passengers will be screened by Chinese authorities, and anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board.

Even if they do get through the screening process, there only around 250 seats available, and as of Tuesday, 308 Canadians have asked for help in leaving China.

Ottawa has said consular services will be provided to anyone left behind, and the government is prepared to charter a second plane if there are enough Canadians remaining after the first flight.

===================

Two-hundred and 51 Canadians are among the more than 37-hundred people quarantined on a cruise ship off the coast of Japan after 10 people on-board tested positive for the new coronavirus.

None of the positive cases are Canadians.

Princess Cruises says the ship will remain under quarantine for 14 days in Yokohama.

A Hong Kong official says more than 18-hundred people on another cruise ship will be quarantined after three passengers were diagnosed with the virus.

=====================

As thousands of Hong Kong medical workers continue their strike, demanding the complete closure of the border with mainland China, Chief Executive Carrie Lam says anyone entering from the mainland will be quarantined for 14 days to watch for signs of the new coronavirus.

There have been more than 24-thousand cases of the virus and 490 deaths as a result of the outbreak that originated in China and has spread to more than 20 countries, including Canada.

The virus has also prompted reports of anti-Asian discrimination, with U-N Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appealing for international solidarity and support for China.

======================

Several B-C First Nations say the Federal Court of Appeal’s dismissal of their legal challenge against the federal government’s approval of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion will not stop their fight against the project.

In a unanimous 3-0 decision, the court ruled Ottawa met its duty to consult, clearing a major legal hurdle for construction to continue on the expansion of the pipeline from Alberta’s oilsands to B-C’s coast.

The four Indigenous groups say they are still deciding whether to seek leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada, but will pursue all available options to stop the project.

======================

U-S President Donald Trump celebrated what he called a “Great American Comeback” in the three years since he took office, as he delivered his State of the Union address in Washington last night.

As he finished by saying — quote — “My fellow Americans, the best is yet to come,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tore up her copy as she stood directly behind him.

Pelosi said afterward tearing the speech into pieces was the “courteous thing to do, considering the alternative.”

The White House quickly responded by tweeting Pelosi disrespected Trump’s guests of honour by ripping up the speech.

====================

After delays caused by what they called “quality checks” and “inconsistencies” in some reporting, the Iowa Democratic Party has released additional results of its kickoff presidential caucus.

The caucuses were already facing criticism that the overwhelmingly white state isn’t representative of the country’s diversity.

The results late Tuesday show former midwestern mayor Pete Buttigieg with a slight lead over progressive Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders.

Filed under: News