A plane crash near Arnprior, last night, but fortunately everyone got out okay.

The plane crashed in a field, landing upside-down, next to the 417 near the Ottawa Road 29 exit.

When emergency crews arrived, they found the two people inside had escaped the wreckage of the plane.

Firefighters were able to contain a fuel leak and make sure it didn’t catch fire.

The two occupants of the plane were treated by Renfrew County paramedics.

===================

Three shootings within the past four weeks are believed to be connected.

Postmedia reports that the shootings appear to be a back-and-forth pursuit of retribution.

The first shooting happened on Boyce Avenue, outside a barber shop and clothing store, one month ago today. Two men were wounded. One of the men shot was convicted of aggravated assault in a Gatineau strip club shooting, in 2011.

The second shooting targeted the family home of the murder victim in the January Air-BNB shooting on Gilmour Street, Saturday night.

The third shooting saw bullets fired into a home on Woodridge Crescent, early Monday.

The Guns and Gangs Unit is investigating all three cases.

=====================

Police have now confirmed that the man found dead behind an east-end high school was shot.

21-year-old Mohamed Hassan, of Ottawa, was found dead late Monday afternoon, behind Samuel Genest high school on Carsons Road — that’s east of the Aviation Parkway.

The Ottawa police homicide unit is leading the investigation.

So far, there’s no word of any suspects nor arrests.

================================

Crown attorneys are asking that a 17-year-old Kingston, Ontario boy who pleaded guilty to a series of terrorism-related charges to be sentenced as an adult.

The teen — who cannot be identified under the terms of the Youth Criminal Justice Act — was arrested in January 2019 — following a tip from the F-B-I.

Appearing by video link yesterday afternoon, he admitted to the four charges related to trying to persuade someone to plant a bomb, plus another for violating his bail conditions.

He has been ordered to undergo a psychiatric assessment before sentencing commences in late September.

=============================

The former business manager of an eastern Ontario car sales business is facing dozens of charges after a long-running fraud investigation.

Provincial police say they began probing The 4×4 Store in Carleton Place after receiving numerous complaints as far back as 2016.

Police say the complaints related to allegedly fraudulent vehicle sales, as well as warranties and financing.

David Lamothe is facing 57 charges including 31 counts of fraud over five-thousand dollars.

========================

Two siblings who attended two day camps in Gatineau have tested positive for covid-19.

The children attended the Jean-de-Brebeuf day camp during the week of July 13th, and the Saint-Jean de Bosco day camp on Monday, July 20th.

The city of Gatineau says both day camps have since undergone cleaning and disinfection, and remain open.

=======================

The last three regions of the province still in Stage 2 of the COVID-19 recovery plan will find later today if they’re cleared to enter the next phase.

Toronto, Peel Region and Windsor-Essex are still operating under Stage 2 rules, which keep businesses like gyms, bars and theatres closed.

Premier Doug Ford is expected to announce this afternoon whether those regions have the green light to enter Stage 3.

The rest of the province has been in Stage 3 for days, but Ford said the government was waiting for data from the last three regions before making a decision.

====================

The announcement of a public inquiry into April’s mass shooting in Nova Scotia has transformed a protest march planned for today into an event to thank the public for its support.

Family members of the 22 victims were set to march on the legislature to condemn last week’s federal and provincial decision to hold a joint review.

Yesterday, the province’s justice minister said they would support a full public inquiry if Ottawa agreed and within hours, federal Public Safety Minister Bill Blair announced the change.

=====================

WE Charity’s co-founders testified that their organization wasn’t chosen to run the federal government’s multi-million dollar student-volunteer program because of anyone’s family name.

The House of Commons finance committee continued their probe of the charity’s now-scrapped sole-sourced contract to run the Canada Student Service Grant.

Conflict of interest questions began to swirl after direct links were made between the charity and members of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s family.

Trudeau is scheduled to testify Thursday.

=======================

Canada’s war against I-SIL has quietly entered a new phase, with plans to keep fewer troops in the Middle East — even after the pandemic passes.

Top military officials say the Iraqi military is now largely able to fight I-SIL on its own, meaning far fewer Canadian military trainers are needed.

Canada’s 850-or-so troops have been teaching Iraqi forces the basics of soldiering.

======================

U-S President Donald Trump issued a stout defence of a disproved use of a malaria drug as a treatment for the coronavirus, hours after social media companies moved to take down videos promoting its use as potentially harmful misinformation.

The president’s tone shifted yesterday from the more measured approach he had been displaying in recent days as he promoted hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19.

Scientific studies have shown the drug can do more harm than good when used to treat symptoms of COVID-19.

=======================

Four Big Tech C-E-Os are set to answer for their companies’ practices in front of U-S Congress today.

A House panel is preparing to cap its yearlong investigation of market dominance in the industry.

Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, Sundar Pichai of Google and Tim Cook of Apple are expected to take part.

Their industry has transformed society, linked people around the globe, mined and commercialized users’ personal data, and infuriated critics on both the left and right over speech.

======================

Muslim pilgrims wearing face masks and moving in small groups after days in isolation have begun arriving at Islam’s holiest site in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

It is the start of a unique and scaled-down hajj experience that is being reshaped by COVID-19.

Rather than standing and praying shoulder-to-shoulder in a sea of people from different walks of life, participants this year are social distancing.

The pilgrimage is intended to bring about greater humility and unity among Muslims.

Filed under: News