Two covid 19 testing centres are expanding their hours due to an  increase in volume.

Record setting numbers of people wanting covid tests prompted  hours at the Brewer Centre to be expanded to 12 hours a day.

The hours at the drive thru testing centre  at the RCGT ball park have been expanded as well.  The on-line technical issues experienced with that location have been fixed.

Ottawa public health does recommend waiting five days after contact with someone who has covid, to get tested.

================

Ottawa public health says another person has died after battling covid-19 in the city, bringing the city’s pandemic death toll to 268.

This death is the only one in the province related to the virus reported yesterday.

There has also been a  spike of 61 new covid-19 cases in the city.

With more than 100 new cases reported in the last two days, the number of active cases in Ottawa is now up to 334.

Despite that number, the health unit says there are still only 11 people in hospital with the virus — one in intensive care.

There continue to be 18 institutions dealing with covid-19 outbreaks. The worst current outbreak is at West End Villa long-term care, which has reported 28 resident cases and five infected staff.

====================

Ottawa police are asking for the public’s help to identify two people of interest in a stabbing near Elmvale Acres shopping centre

Officers say a 26-year-old Ottawa man was stabbed in an apartment on St Laurent Boulevard, Saturday morning at 6:46.

The victim is in stable condition.

Officers say the first person of interest  was wearing a black puffy jacket with a hood, dark pants with white stripes on each side, and black shoes, while the other was wearing a white Nike pullover hoodie, dark pants with a red design on the right leg, white gloves, a white mask and red running shoes with white soles.

You can see a photo of the two at Ottawa matters dot com.

Anyone with information is being asked to call police.

================

One person was trapped under a car that rolled on River Road last night.

Firefighters were called to 2658 River Road just before 9:30, to a vehicle that had rolled several times.

The driver had apparently been ejected through the passenger window, after the car left the road struck a tree and rolled several times.

The driver ended up trapped underneath the car, with one foot stuck under a wheel.

About 20 minutes after arriving fire fighters managed to free the conscious man.

 

The fire service  was also called for an extrication  after a two vehicle collision in Orleans.

Around 8:30  last night fire fighters were called to Tenth Line and Tompkins Avenue after a collision trapped one person.

A door was removed and a female was taken out and  handed over to paramedics.

=========================

Provincial police  in Pembroke have laid charges after a pickup truck struck a multi-unit residential building

Units in the valley responded to an incident on Saturday evening on Nelson Street in Pembroke.

Police say that the driver fled the scene.

They located the vehicle and arrested the driver a short time later.

Further investigation revealed a person living at the residence had been threatened earlier in the day.

A replica firearm was recovered by police during this incident. No one in the residence was injured.

57 year old Joseph Ryan, of Whitewater region, has been charged with numerous offences, including  dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

===============================

The owners of three Ottawa snow removal companies are facing charges after  police say they defrauded residents out of almost $45,000.

Officers started investigating snow vaporizers, faul properties and altitude snow removal, during the 2019/2020 winter after allegations of fraud were raised.

The investigation  revealed that the companies fraudulently obtained money for snow removal services from residents in Ottawa.

Clients say funds were sent  by cash, cheque, e-transfer and credit card with little-to-no snow removal service provided after their payments were made.

Police say each of the companies operated independently and are not connected to each other.

The owners of each company face several charges each.

The fraud unit thinks there could be more victims and are anyone who has a complaint with any of these companies to file a report.

===========================

Ontario’s health minister says the province will unveil a new fall strategy to address COVID-19 in the coming days.

Christine Elliott says the government has been working on the strategy over the summer in order to prepare for a possible second wave of the virus.

She says it factors in the impact of traditional flu season and capacity issues in the province’s long-term care homes and hospitals.

Elliott says the possible second wave will be complex and require a different approach than what the government used during the early months of the pandemic.

========================

A two-day cabinet retreat for the Liberal government will wrap-up today.

But, what was supposed to be a discussion about longer-term measures to help the economy recover from the COVID-19 pandemic shifted gears to a more pressing matter — the sudden rise in positive cases over the past few weeks.

Health Minister Patty Hajdu says cabinet instead ended up looking into various scenarios the country could face — including an exponential increase in COVID-19 cases.

======================

New Brunswick got a little bluer overnight as voters elected a majority Progressive Conservative, in the first provincial election of the COVID-19 pandemic era.

With all votes counted, the Tories were elected in 27 ridings, the Liberals in 17, the Green party in three and the People’s Alliance in two.

Liberal Leader Kevin Vickers failed to win his seat and announced he was stepping down shortly after.

He said he had hoped to unite the province’s French, English and Indigenous populations — and feels he made progress towards that goal.

=====================

The murder trial for a Fredericton man charged in the 2018 fatal shootings of four people in the New Brunswick capital begins today.

Matthew Raymond is facing four counts of first-degree murder after allegedly gunning down two Police constables and two civilians back in August of 2018.

Initially, Raymond was deemed unfit to stand trial, but a jury last month reversed that decision.

A jury needed just one hour to determine Raymond is fit to instruct his defence counsel and that he understands the charges he’s facing.

======================

The U-S has issued a new advisory warning against travel to mainland China and Hong Kong, citing the risk of “arbitrary detention.”

This morning’s advisory warns that China could impose “arbitrary detention and exit bans” to compel co-operation with investigations, pressure family members to return to China from abroad, influence civil disputes, and “gain bargaining leverage over foreign governments.”

Two Canadians have spent more than 600 days in a Chinese prison in apparent retaliation for the arrest of a Chinese tech executive in Vancouver at the behest of the United States.

======================

U-S President Donald Trump is set to preside over the signing of historic diplomatic deals between Israel and two Gulf Arab nations that could herald a dramatic shift in Middle East power dynamics.

The Tuesday ceremony at the White House is aimed at showcasing presidential statesmanship ahead of November’s election.

Trump will host more than 700 guests on the South Lawn to witness the sealing of the agreements between Israel and the United Arab Emirates and between Israel and Bahrain.

=====================

Hurricane Sally is continuing to slosh its way toward the U-S Gulf Coast, with its outer bands now pummelling northwest Florida.

Because the storm is moving slowly, about five kilometres per hour, forecasters fear it could intensify beyond its current Category 2 strength.

With winds whipping at more than 144 kilometres per hour, Sally is expected to hit somewhere near the Mississippi-Alabama state line late today or early tomorrow.

=======================

An Indonesian patrol ship has confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights.

The area also represents the southernmost part of Beijing’s disputed South China Sea claims.

The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency dispatched a vessel, which then communicated to affirm their position and claims.

The ship left Monday morning, but Indonesian officials say they are still waiting for an explanation from the Chinese Embassy.

Filed under: News