Ottawa’s chief medical officer of health is advising parents in the city not to take their children out trick or treating this Halloween.

Dr. Vera etches says the risk of going out on Halloween is the same as other events where people gather in groups.

She calls it a non-essential activity and recommends families celebrate with members of their own household or dress up and share costumes virtually.

Ottawa is one of three regions where new restrictions were imposed last week to try to halt the spread of covid-19.

====================

No exams are planned this year in several area school boards.

The Upper Canada district school says instead of exams,  student grades will be solely based on the specific learning activities and completed assignments in  each course.

The Ottawa Carleton district school board says final grades will be based on term work only.

And the Ottawa Catholic district school board says a major assignment will need to be completed to  demonstrate comprehension of the course.

=====================

Ottawa’s chief of police say the use of dynamic entry in tactical raids is under constant  review.

Chief Sloly tells the Citizen, they review  techniques used in  entry, where there is a risk to either officer or public safety.

This comes on the heels of a 23 years old man falling to his death from the 12th floor of an apartment on Jasmine Crescent.

The SIU  is investigating that death.

The family of Tony Aust  has a fundraiser to pay for his funeral that has raised just over 14,000 dollars.

============================

The Ottawa police service is asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect in an assault and robbery last month in Kanata.

Officers say the victim saw the suspect fall off his bike in the area of Teron Road and Beaverbrooke Road, around 8 p.m. on September 20, and went over to help him.

The two were walking together and talking when the suspect allegedly pushed the victim down an embankment, assaulted him and demanded his phone.

We have full description and surveillance images of a suspect at Ottawa matters dot com

Anyone with information regarding this robbery is asked to call the Ottawa police.

============================

Provincial police looking for suspects in a home invasion near Lancaster yesterday morning — one of whom may be on the limp, because the home owner’s dog bit them.

SD&G opp responded to a call around 1:30AM at home on First Street: according to police, the resident attacked by two men who forced their way into the house.

One of the attackers was bitten by a dog  — and the two men took off on foot.

The victim was not seriously hurt.

Police are looking for suspects wearing black cargo pants, black hoodies and red face coverings.

Anyone with information should call OPP or Crimestoppers.

===============================

Police say they have arrested a 53-year-old man after he allegedly threatened to burn down his apartment in Kingston,  due to an insect infestation.

Kingston police say they were called to an apartment building on Tuesday afternoon about a threatening tenant.

They say they spoke to a man who was apologetic and said he was just venting over unsatisfactory living conditions and issues with his landlord.

Police say they were soon contacted by a neighbour who alleged the man just had a gas can delivered to his door.

They say officers returned, found the gas can and arrested the man.

Police say they seized the can of gas as evidence and charged the man with uttering threats to cause property damage.

============================

Residents of long-term care homes in Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa will only be able to go out for medical or compassionate reasons starting Friday.

The province says it’s barring social or personal outings in those regions to help keep long-term care residents safe as COVID-19 cases surge.

Those wanting to visit loved ones in a home are urged to call ahead to make sure the facility is free of outbreaks and confirm visiting policies and restrictions.

The province says measures regarding long-term care will be updated as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves.

=======================

The Ontario government says it is has hired 100 new contact tracers to help track and isolate new cases of COVID-19.

And the province says it plans to hire up to 500 more recruits by mid-November.

The government says the hiring is part of its fall preparedness plan to keep Ontarians safe.

It says there are currently more than 2,750 case and contact management staff active across all public health units, tracing and managing COVID-19 cases.

=========================

All in-person appearances set to take place in locally run provincial-offences court have been adjourned to January 22nd of next year.

The same goes for appeals under the Provincial Offences Act.

Courts will continue to hear non-trial proceedings in these cases, such as guilty pleas and withdrawals, remotely.

And as of next week, the Ontario Court of Justice will also hear closing and sentencing submissions, and deliver sentences remotely.

The province says the changes are meant to keep people safe as the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic takes hold.

=========================

The House of Commons ethics committee will pick up today, as opposition M-Ps are expected to continue their push for a renewed WE Charity investigation.

Liberal committee member Greg Fergus says he is hoping his fellow committee members will see reason and drop the obsession with the WE affair.

Ties between top Liberals — including the P-M — and WE Charity plunged a summertime student grant program into controversy the moment it was announced.

WE pulled out within days and has since repaid all money advanced by the federal government to run the program.

==========================

Tensions in Nova Scotia continue to boil over in a dispute between non-Indigenous commercial fishermen and Mi’kmaq (MIG’-maw) fishers.

R-C-M-P are confirming incidents involving large crowds of angry commercial fishers laying siege to two lobster facilities that handle catches from Indigenous boats — destroying property and threatening violence.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is calling the latest escalation — “unacceptable.”

The dispute stems from two Mi’kmaq First Nations fishing for lobster outside the federally regulated commercial fishing season — arguing they have the constitutional right to a moderate livelihood fishery.

=============================

New daily fitness tips call for adults to cap screen time at three hours and sedentary behaviour at eight hours.

Public health and academic experts say it’s more important than ever to get enough sleep and exercise as COVID-19 upends daily routines, finances, social lives and individual health.

Guideline chair Robert Ross admits the pandemic has made it harder for some people to remain active but says any activity is better than none.

============================

Statistics Canada says since the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Canadians have boosted the time and money they spend online.

A recent survey conducted by the national number cruncher found the 44 per cent of Canadians had spent more money online on technology, including computers, laptops and tablets.

Forty-two per cent of respondents also reported spending more on video streaming services.

Analyst Christopher Collins says the poll was trying to capture the social impacts of the pandemic.

============================

Canada’s foreign affairs minister says the Mediterranean Sea boundary dispute between Turkey and Greece shows that NATO needs new political tools to solve disagreements among members.

Speaking with The Canadian Press, Francois-Philippe Champagne said Canada is prepared to help mediate a solution between its two NATO allies.

He says he will be discussing the details of Canada’s possible contribution during his meetings today in Brussels with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg.

===========================

N-B-C News says it’ll host U-S President Donald Trump for a town hall-styled event tonight after the president submitted to a coronavirus test administered by the National Institutes of Health.

The network’s decision received a strong backlash on social media, where a call to boycott N-B-C trended on Twitter.

Critics were upset because now there will be duelling town halls, with Democratic opponent Joe Biden appearing in a town hall sponsored by A-B-C News, at the same time.

=========================

U-S Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett refused to say whether she accepts the science of climate change — calling it — quote — a “very contentious matter of public policy.”

Barrett made the comment during her confirmation hearing Wednesday.

She was responding to a question from Democratic Senator Kamala Harris of California, who is also the Democrats’ vice presidential nominee.

Barrett also told lawmakers she isn’t a scientist and has no firm views on global warming.

Filed under: News